Monday, May 30, 2011

Bethannie Newsom Steelman's endorsement of Arkansas Art News

Wow! You've been busy! Thank you for the rave review, it was very flattering. I heard about your website from Ashley. It looks fantastic. It's about time someone put together an informative guide to this town's art scene! I really enjoyed reading the reviews of my peers and myself. Remember to check out art church, Scribble Hill (Paul Cooper and Sarah Sanders, and Beth Strawn Jones. Also photographers Corey Bays (his show is hanging at maxines right now) and Aaron Brewer.
Thanks again Daniel Kimery :)
Daniel Kimery May 18 at 8:55am
Thank you. For too long Hot Springs Art has had a void in judgement and as a result the Art has suffered. It is my intention to fill that void. I didn't know that The Art Church was a real Gallery. I thought it was some kind of childrens Art Charity, but don't worry I will investigate. I want to learn more about you... in particular what Galleries besides Star Gallery are you affiliated with?
Bethannie Newsom Steelman May 18 at 12:52pm Report
So true. We really should be held accountable for what we produce. As artists, we all just want to support one another, and we end up dishing out complements, not wanting to hurt any one's feelings. I'm glad you have the guts to be honest on your public website.
As far as galleries I've been affiliated with: My show is hanging at the ACAC in Little Rock on the corner of 6th and main streets. The mural Michael Shaeffer and I made is there as well. After June 1st I'll return to STAR unless another opportunity presents itself. I started showing at Muzu Muzu in 2005 or 6, also at The Local in 2009 and a show or two at Low Key arts. For the past two years I have compiled and published The Valley of the Vapors Zine. Paul Cooper and I are currently working on a series of drawings. And my team (Sarah Sanders, Paul Cooper, Brook Oleson, and Derek Taylor) and I have a huge project in the works at the Cultural Campus. I'll be heading a workshop making mini shrines with teens at camp Tanako this Summer. I design tattoo art by comission that is executed by my husband Trey Steelman (also an exceptional artist). Trey is showing in my stead at STAR until my show at the ACAC ends. There's more in the works, but these are my focus for the time being.